Choosing the best location for your artesian well
Depending on your personal preferences, accessibility and the requirements established by the Ministry of Sustainable Development, Environment and Fight Against Climate Change, it’s up to you to decide on the location of your artesian well during the construction of your new home.
The following tips will help you choose the best location for an artesian well on your property.
- The well should be located within a reasonable proximity to the house, but a minimum of ten feet away.
- The area must be accessible by heavy equipment, such as two thirty foot trucks.
- Pay particular attention to any obstructions, such as electrical wires and trees, as the mast of the drilling equipment is at least 30 feet high.
- As much as possible, steep slopes should be avoided, as the drill must be leveled before drilling.
- Locate the well at a distance of at least 100 feet from the leaching field and 50 feet from the septic tank. Also consider your neighbor’s leaching field and septic tank.
- Keep your well away from areas where pesticides are spread, chemical fertilizers are used, as well as any other chemicals that may leach into the soil.
- The well should be located in a place that’s easily accessible for maintenance.
- Depending on aesthetics and how you wish to use your land, keep in mind that according to groundwater regulations, wells must be approximately 30 centimeters above ground level.
- We cannot locate wells in basements, under driveways or under electrical wires or inlets.
If you have any questions or want to know more about locating your artesian well, please feel free to contact our team who would be happy to advise you.